Thursday, May 31, 2012

Tempeh Sloppy Joes

I tried another great Vegan recipe the other night, this one might sneak in as a family recipe if they didn't see me making it ;)  I would rate it a 9 out of 10.  Prep was easy to do while I made turkey burgers for my kids... next time I will share with them!

Here is the recipe from the P90X2 cookbook:
1 tbsp olive oil
1 yellow onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 lb. organic tempeh, crumbled
3 tbsp chili powder blend
2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp Himalayan salt
1 15-oz can fire-roasted crushed tomatoes
1/4 cup tomato paste
2-3 tbsp maple syrup or agave nectar
1 tbsp yellow mustard
4 sprouted- grain buns or Sandwich thins

1. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium  heat.
2. Saute onion, garlic, and bell pepper until soft.
3. Add crumbled tempeh and stir together to mix well.  Cook for another 2 minutes.
4. Add chili powder, oregano, salt, tomatoes, tomato paste, maple syrup or agave and mustard.  Stir well to blend together.
5. Cook for another 10 minutes with lid on to steam the tempeh.
6. Turn off heat and let sit for 5-10 minutes for flavors to blend together.
7. Serve on buns.

I heated up leftovers along with some kale and served them over brown rice pasta the following night and served my family meat sauce!

Just because it is Vegan does not mean it is low calorie!  This is 4 portions and 1 portion has 535 calories, 18 g of fat, 72 g of carbs, 33 g of protein and 11 g of fiber.


No comments:

Post a Comment