Monday, May 28, 2012

Can you maintain healthy eating while camping?

It is now one week since I completed the Ultimate Reset.  I decided before I was done that I would stick with the meal plan for at least a few more weeks and avoid animal protein for a little bit longer.  I did great last week.  I didn't even add coffee back in, no desserts, just a little bit of dried fruit when I needed a treat.  This weekend I went camping with my family and ran into some complications.  The boy scout camp was set up for meat lovers... or simply, people who think that animal protein plays a part in every meal... kind of like I thought until 4 weeks ago :)  First meal I turned down the meat and added extra chick peas to my salad which worked really well.  Second meal I asked for chick peas for breakfast... not bad with some fruit cut on top, but not delicious!  I was offered Vegetarian options for future meals.  This did cover the meat and chicken part but not the cheese and milk part which pretty much became my protein source in the rest of the meals.  I decided that I would go with it, I would stick with part of my plan, and when I got home I would get back to where I wanted to be.  I made sure I got my Tropical Shakeology in each day and I stayed strong in avoiding sugar... I even turned down campfire Smores two days in a row :)
I will be vacationing with family next week and I plan to introduce a few Vegan recipes to the group but, I suspect my "flexitarian" eating will need to be pretty flexible as I cannot make extra meals for myself for the duration of our trip. Yes, I know I could, but a happy family vacation is key combined with the best I can do!

I promised to start sharing some of my favorite recipes:
Black Beans and Rice 
3/4 cup cooked brown rice
1/2 cup canned low sodium black beans
1/4 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1/8 tsp ground chili powder
1 pinch ground cumin
1/4 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp Bragg liquid aminos (in place of soy sauce)
Himalayan Sea Salt (to taste) - get at Trader Joe's
While rice is cooking, heat beans gently in saucepan until very hot.  Drain and return to pan.  Add oil, spices, aminos and salt.  Stir well.  Gently fold beans into cooked rice.  Serves 1
Serve with, 1/4 cup fresh corn, 2 tbsp salsa, 1/4 cup guacamole, 1 6" corn tortilla and a side salad or Kale steamed and squirted with fresh lemon juice, a sprinkling of Himalayan sea salt and 1 tbsp of pine nuts! (recipe from the Ultimate Reset week one)

That is a good sized meal, plenty of protein and delicious!  Let me know what you think.
Please join me at www.GetFitWithNicola.com for weekly emails on health and fitness.

No comments:

Post a Comment