Thursday, June 14, 2012

Whole Wheat Zucchini Loaf


The Zucchini is making an appearance in my garden already!  I LOVE Zucchini stir fried, baked, stuffed, mixed into savory or sweet and I really love zucchini bread!  Upon returned from our vacation I found 4 BIG zucchinis so it was time for the bread!  I have a family recipe that I have "cleaned up" which I will post later but I made this one yesterday and my family loved it!


Ingredients:
  • 3 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1/4 cup ground flax seed
  • 1 tbsp cinnamon
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp Himalayan sea salt
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/2 cup oil (I used coconut oil)
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce (or just 3/4 cup oil)
  • 1/4 cup raw agave syrup
  • 1/4 cup honey (recipe called for 3/4 cup honey, no syrup)
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 3 cups grated zucchini
  • 1 cup chopped nuts (pecan, almond or walnut)- I didn't use upon the request of my daughter but I can tell it would have been delicious with some walnuts!

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F for lg loaf pan or muffins.
  2. Blend the dry ingredients.
  3. Make a well in the center and pour in the eggs, oil, honey and vanilla.  Stir just until mixed - do not overmix.
  4. Fold in the grated zucchini and chopped nuts if using.  Pour batter into greased loaf pans or muffin holders and bake until a toothpick comes out clean.

Large loaf pan 50-60 min
Muffins 15-20 min

My advice is to cut a piece and hide the rest ;)  It is delicious and healthy but NOT calorie free by any means!

I had a few cups of leftover grated zucchini so I have been cooking it in the frying pan with some frozen veggies then cracking an egg over top and a sprinkling of feta for a delicious lunch!

Enjoy your zucchini!!!  Also, check out www.100daysofrealfood.com for some great healthy recipe ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment