Thursday, May 13, 2010

What is your relationship with food?

We all have a different relationship with food!

Some people think of it as basic nourishment, can make healthy choices with appropriate portions and all is good. Those people are few and far between!

Most of us have access to fast food, convenience packaging, have been brought up with it, have used it on a daily basis and are addicted to it! High Fructose Corn Syrup, Trans Fats, Saturated Fats, Deep Fried, French Fries, Potato Chips, Creamy dressing, Sugar...these are ingredients that make me cringe a little bit now!
I have adjusted my lifestyle to looking at ingredient lists, looking at how things are cooked and making wise choices to help me stay healthy! I just had 1 egg and 3 eggs whites scrambled in a whole wheat tortilla with 1/4 of an avocado and some green salsa for lunch, followed by 2 sticks of celery. I was having a sweet craving so I had a fat free sugar free yoplait yogurt to finish off! Not a small lunch, but I am satisfied and it was all good for me. To make this possible I had the fixings in my house that I just needed to pull out of my fridge! I don't buy the foods that I have no impulse control over anymore! Yes, I have kids, they don't need the junk either! I buy cookies sometimes, but never my favorite! I bought them dinner on the way to the gym last night (they were going to childcare while I taught a class), they love a hamburger and fries, but last night we did Subway on wholewheat bread with ham, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes and some mayo! On the way home they told me that was the best sandwich ever! I don't think they ever raved about their hamburger on the way home before...just the toy that came with it!

How about when you go out to dinner, or you are at a wedding with a buffet! Do you have to try everything, do you have to try one of each dessert at holiday time? Stop for a minute and ask yourself why? Are you never going to see that food again? Are you going to lose something if you don't have some? Yes, food is yummy, yes the chocolate cheesecake is delectable and feels good in your mouth...but is it really worth it? You need to change your relationship with food if you want to make changes in your health! You need to make some sacrifices at times! Maybe an occasional splurge, but balance it! Decrease your calories the rest of the day (or week), add extra exercise. What difference does a pound or two make over the holidays make you say at the time...but how about that swimsuit you want to wear this summer? Do those pounds make a difference now?

It isn't just about how we look though, it is our health! We should all sit down and talk with an overweight senior citizen and find out how difficult it is to get up and down, how many medications they are on, what their life expectancy is? It isn't about sacrificing fun, it is just about making some better choices! Don't tell me buying healthy food is too expensive when you eat out 4 times a week. Veggies seem healthy when you throw half of them out because you didn't get a chance to eat them!!! So eat them before they get rotten! Eat at home, cook your food a healthy way and know what you are putting in your body! If you plan ahead, prep your food in advance, it doesn't take too long to make a meal! Focus, plan, schedule, make it work, but help yourself...only you can!

Wow, apparently I have some passion about this ;) I overeat at times, especially holiday treats, but I am teaching myself too, I am working through this too! Join me and lets help ourselves be healthy senior citizens!!! I look forward to spending the money I don't need to spend on medications to have some fun :)
Sign up on my Beachbody site to help keep yourself accountable! www.beachbodycoach.com/nicolabx

No comments:

Post a Comment