Monday, January 25, 2010

Reaching Goals!!!

I did it!  I reached a goal!  I ran my second half marathon in less than 2 hours!!!  Actually 1 hour, 57 minutes and 19 seconds.  That is an average pace of less than 9 minutes per mile!  Was it easy...not at all!  Was it worth it...120% yes!
Choosing a goal is a great way to encourage yourself to work harder, to push yourself and to motivate yourself.  This was my second half marathon.  I knew I could run the distance, I knew I could run an 8 to 9 minute pace in shorter distances, I knew I was physically fit enough...so why not set myself a big goal. (my first half marathon in October was 2 hours and 18 minutes but had many more hills...and it was my first).  To reach my goal I added a bit more running to my regimen and I psyched myself up to the job.
On Sunday, I started the race at a decent pace...not too fast so I didn't tire too quickly.  1/4 of the way through I made sure I was within range of the 2:00 pace setter (although he kept sneaking away when I grabbed water at the water stations).  My IT bands (on the outside of the thighs) were tightening up causing pain on the outside of my knees...I rubbed them while I kept running...I had a mission!!!  In the last mile I sucked it up and pushed myself HARD!  I passed the pacer, I pushed myself, I encouraged myself on, I got my music to a faster song and I got myself over that finish line.  Am I suffering today...you better believe it!  I am physically exhausted...my muscles are tight, my left outer knee is aching...do I still think it was worth it...YES YES YES!!!  I am competitive.  I am driven.  When I do things I give it my all as otherwise I don't see much point in doing it!
Everyone's "all" or best attempt is different though!  If you are going to run a race or try something new, you need to choose a level that is reasonable for YOU.  If you surpass your goals easily, you know to set your sites a bit higher next time.  If you don't make goals though, if you don't set big plans for yourself, how do you know where you want to go, where you want to be?
They can be as basic as losing 5 pounds in a month.  They can be to try a new class every week...or even sticking with a class that seems a bit tougher than you thought you could do for a whole month! (try Turbo Kick...it gets better every time you come). Increase your weights you lift and keep at it for a month then increase again!  Keep tabs of what you accomplish and when you reach goals...take before and after photos so you have proof, take before and after measurements (these often mean more than actual weight)!  If you have difficulty keeping accountability yourself get some help.  Get a personal trainer at the gym, if you are running a lot, sign up for the nike+ program with nike.com...they also have an online nike women's training club now....there many other online programs you can log your activities on too.  Or just write them down on paper and keep tabs on where you are!...talk to me about how I can help you!
Through Beachbody I have some amazing at home programs you can try that will push you...as long as you follow what they tell you to do....and you will see results.  I will soon be offering a free body fat analysis before, during and after you start a program that you buy from me...an added bonus!  www.beachbodycoach.com/nicolabx
I am off to have a nap...back to the gym tomorrow, I think I have earned a day of rest ;)
Have a great week!

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on reaching your goal! That's such a satisfying feeling; sometimes it's the pain that makes it so worth it too. Or maybe it's the accomplishment that makes the pain worth it? Your run reminded me of the last time I pushed myself in a run to reach a goal. I was 13 or 14 years old and pushed myself HARD during a school chip track challenge and ended up with the best run out of the entire 8th grade females - I was sure I was dying at the time.
    It's too bad that my only comparison is from such a long time ago!
    Proud of you Sis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Nicola!! :)
    And regarding the above comment... I came 2nd out of those same grade 8 girls. The twin beat me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know you guys had it in you ;) Too bad Maryann's running days are over...it just leaves you and me Marge!!!

    ReplyDelete