Thursday, January 28, 2010

How do you know you are getting the most out of your workout?

As a fitness instructor, an avid exerciser and a competitor, I work hard, I use my time wisely and I pay attention to how to get these things done best.  I often have only a few hours to spend at the gym a week, so when I go, I bust my butt!  Training for my half marathon was difficult as I don't want to spend more than an hour running at a time (unless it is race time).  Going to a yoga class is difficult for me as I know it is good for my body, but it takes an hour away from my cardio and weight lifting that I often don't have time to make up elsewhere.  I'm a go hard or go home kind of girl---I think that is why TurboKick is my class of choice!
Someone reminded me yesterday of the "Rating of Perceived Exertion (RPE)"---a great way to keep tabs on how hard you are working.  Read the following article, it could prove very useful to helping you get more results in the gym!


How do you know if you’re getting the most out of your workout? You can use the Rating of Perceived Exertion (RPE) scale to guide your exercise intensity. This scale was originally designed to help fitness professionals gauge how a client is feeling during exercise compared to how hard they’re actually working (measured by a heart rate monitor).
The difference between the perceived exertion and actual physical output says a lot about how your state of mind is affecting your workout. In other words, this scale uses not only the body’s physical response to gauge exercise intensity, but also the psychological response to working out.
 

For simplicity, you can use a scale of 1-10 (1 being very easy, 5 being moderate and 10 being maximal effort.)

As you're exercising, ask yourself where you are on this scale. If you would honestly say you're only at a 4 or 5, bump up the intensity; the harder you’re working, the more calories you’re burning. But just be careful that you don’t overdo it, otherwise you won’t be able to complete your workout.

Aim for a 6 or 7 and bump up the intensity in intervals to an 8 or 9, and then bring it back down to a steady 6 or 7 again for a great calorie-blasting workout. And just remember, as you get fit, a workout that used to rank an 8 on your personal RPE scale will become a 5, which is a tangible achievement well worth noting.


I think this article is great to help you help yourself!  My only suggestion is don't worry about overdoing it...seriously...how often does someone fall off the treadmill because they worked too hard...if you need a break, take one, but bust your butt for as long as you can before you take it!  You will survive!  Most people never make it to a 9 or 10 as they are too scared they will overdo it!  Don't be scared, just go go go!!!  Drink lots of water before, during and after, get rest after...just not during!
Also don't assume the level you were are two weeks ago is an appropriate level this week.  You are probably ready to increase the workload, whether it is a higher speed on the treadmill, heavier weights, deeper squats...you know what you need to do!  On the other hand, if you are having an off day, you can take it easy...just don't stop altogether!  As long as you get a few hard working days a week, you can have a few easier days too!  Make sure you are working hard towards that goal!
I would love to hear how you are doing!!! 

1 comment:

  1. ways to push yourself to the max:
    -get on one of the treadmills that go really steep...hold on and walk uphill fast.
    -hop on the jacob's ladder for 10+ minutes...there is nothing wrong with a little sweat!
    -lift HEAVY!
    -jumping jacks
    -go to a class you love and work harder than you thought you ever could. You will be surprised at what you can accomplish!

    ReplyDelete