Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Keep it moving but don't hurt yourselves ;)

So my official injury seems to be a pulled or torn quadratis femoris muscle.  It is a deep and small muscle that connects between the femur and the ischial tuberosity (pelvis).  The physical therapist has me building up the hip muscles around it as it is responsible for lateral rotation and helping adduct the thigh at the hip.  It was feeling better after my half marthon (maybe the other pains minimized this pain ;)), but after my last session my butt started aching again.  Could have something to do with all that kicking in TurboKick...you don't say!
Well, after my half marathon I was inspired to not slow on my exercise, so I taught my two TK classes, added a day of heavy weights...man have I missed that, then I went running on Saturday.  What did that Nike blog say to do post racing...take a week off...oh right!!!
But, I accepted a challenge to run 10K on Saturday...can't back down to a challenge can I?  My only free time was at 8am while my son played soccer, so I hit the bike trail and ran my 10K and was able to catch the end of the game.  But by later in the day I had new pain....my lower inner hamstring and upper calf...hobble hobble hobble.  Rolled it out on my foam roller...a great tool for sore muscles I might add and carried on.  I postponed my Monday therapist appointment so see if I would improve by Wednesday.  Taught TK on Tuesday without a problem, and went to therapy today...for my leg not my mental stability Elizabeth ;)  Different therapist massaged into my hip and butt and was able to loosen that quadratis femoris muscle, feels amazing right now...and the new injuries are easing up.  They haven't told me to slow my exercising so as long as I can move it's all good...I think :) 
Sooooo, work through pains and pulls but take it easy.  You will get sore as you add new exercises so add moderately, but don't be a wimp.  A little burning while you lift is good...shooting pain is not...this should always tell you to stop!!!!!  The day or two after new or hard exercise may lead to aching muscles...stretch, walk, work through it.  You need to help the lactic acid get out of your muscles so sitting still isn't going to speed up your recovery.  Have a hot shower or bath to loosen up and get moving again!
Keep working towards those goals you have set!

No comments:

Post a Comment