Monday, October 26, 2009

Are you training for a the Boston Marathon or Boston Cream Pie?

I was reading the comics a few weeks ago and there was a man and a woman jogging.  The woman said to the man, what are you training for, he responded "the Boston Marathon", she fell back, then caught up and said "I am training for Boston Cream Pie".
Your goals don't always have to be to be 'getting more toned' or to 'run a marathon', they can be as simple as 'to be able to eat what I want'.  But you should keep it reasonable.  A piece of Boston Cream Pie instead of the whole pie, a bowl of ice cream instead of the whole container...don't keep things in the house that you cannot resist.  I remember this wisdom when I make a batch of cookies.  Some days I am strong and can turn down pizza and cake at a birthday party, today I ate at least 3 cookies while I was preparing dinner, then another 3 more for dessert.  Some days we can resist, somedays temptation wins over.  Will I go eat the rest of the cookies???  NO!  I can carry on and know that if I continue my exercise and limit my cookies to 1 next time I have nothing to worry about.  One screw up doesn't blow the day, the week, the goals, it just hits us with the dose of reality.  I will just have to work a little harder tomorrow to burn off those 5 extra cookies ;)
You can also plan ahead for those weak moments.  Have gum in your cupboard to chew on when you have a sweet craving.  Pull out some carrots to crunch while you prepare dinner.  Add a walk or some physical exercise in the afternoon if you have some down time as down time is usually when you cave in...when you are bored or distracted.
I am going to try some yoga and watch Dancing with the Stars...the rest of the cookies are going in the freezer where I MAY forget about them!

3 comments:

  1. I love reading these! Sometimes I feel like you're speaking right to me ("don't eat the whole pie").
    I do the chewing gum thing! I learned that from Bob and Jillian ;)
    I haven't been doing my push-ups but I do go out of my way to make my chores into a fitness regimen. In fact, this afternoon I chose to push the overloaded wheelbarrow full of manure UP the hill, through mud, rather than go downhill over dry ground.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maryann you go girl!!! Not many people can incorporate wheelbarrows full of manure into their exercise regimen ;)
    I just had another cookie for lunch...Melissa, I am bringing the rest over on my way to Ryan's school ;)

    ReplyDelete