Saturday, December 31, 2011

Here are some great tips to help you stick with your Resolution, once and for all!

I am currently reading an amazing book called The Compound Effect, by Darren Hardy.  There is a section that is very relevant to the steps many people are taking today to make changes, both big and small, to their lives starting on January 1st! Take a quick read:

Finding your Mojo - Your why-power (p.61)

Assuming willpower is what you need to change your habits is akin to trying to keep a hungry grizzly bear out of your picnic basket by covering it with a napkin.  To fight the fear of your bad habits, you need something stronger.
When you're having trouble doing the hard work of achieving your goals, it's common to believe you simply lack willpower.  I disagree.  It's not enough to choose to be successful.  What's going to keep you consistent with the new positive choices you need to make?  What's going to stop you from falling back into your mindless habits?  What's going to be different this time versus the times you've tried and failed before?  As soon as you get the slightest bit uncomfortable, you're going to be tempted to slide back into your old, comfortable routine.
You've tried willpower before and it's failed you.  You've set resolutions and you've let them go.  You thought you were going to lose all that weight last time.  You thought you'd "fill in the blank" last year.  Let's "stop the insanity" and do something different so you can get different and better results. 
Forget about willpower.  It's time for why-power.  Your choices are only meaningful when you connect them to your desires and dreams.  The wisest and most motivating choices are the ones aligned with that which you identify as your purpose, your core self, and your highest values.  You've got to want something, and know why you want it, or you'll end up giving up too easily.
So, what is your why?  You've got to have a reason if you want to make significant improvements in your life.  And to make you want to make the necessary changes, your why must be something that is fantastically motivating - to you.  You've got tot want to get up and go, go, go, go, go, go - for years!  So, what is it that moves you the most?  Identifying your why is critical.  What motivates you is the ignition to your passion, the source for your enthusiasm, and the fuel of your persistence.  You MUST know your why.

Upon reading this I understand why I haven't reached some of my goals in the past.  A recurring one to me has been to achieve 6-pack abs... every time I make progress I hear the lack of support (why do you need to get fitter, just one bite won't hurt...), I miss out on the treats and I reconsider my sacrifices as really, I am healthy and at a good weight... BUT I never reach that goal I have had for a few years now!  My other recurring goal is to get more organized, but I get it confused with not prioritizing my kids and my husband first as it is not a quick fix... in reality, getting more organized will allow me more time for them... I just have to buckle down and be consistent!!!

What have I come up with?  My children!  I was an overweight teenager who could have excelled at many sports, adventures and even social situations, BUT I was held back by not knowing how I could achieve more, by what I needed to do.  I plan to set goals with my children this year then to achieve those goals to model how you can (and should) finish at what you set out to do.  My children are only 6 and 8 so I plan to help them make small goals regarding sports, school and behavior!

I am looking forward to an exciting and successful 2012!


No comments:

Post a Comment