Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Are you taking the steps you need to improve your health?

There was another article in today's paper about obesity in America. "More than half in 39 states will be obese, group says".  That is INSANE! 

I meet many people who want to lose weight to make their clothes fit better or to look good in a bikini but the real people who need help are usually the ones who aren't asking for it!  So many people don't realize the health risks of being obese!  Diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, heart disease... you often don't know you have these unless you are exhibiting symptoms or unless you get tested!  There are free screenings in many communities - just do a google search!

There are some simple steps you can take to help reduce your risk factors!  Cutting our processed foods (this can be done slowly), adding more whole fruits and veggies to your meal plan, drink lots of water (and cut the soda and juice), and hold the extra salt and sugar!

I was an overweight teenager... I never learned the importance of eating healthy foods and portion control!  When I was 15 and getting ready to play highschool basketball I couldn't wear the shorts for the girls team, I had to wear the boys XL shorts... and they were tight.  I loved playing basketball, I was 6' tall, I realized I needed to make a change, so I did!  I started going to a fitness class at 6am before school started, I cut my calories and made better food choices.  In my senior year of high school I still wasn't skinny but I was healthy and I was able to enjoy a great year of basketball.  Despite these steps, it wasn't until I was 34 that I learned how important good eating is to maintaining a healthy weight.  Part of that learning was having my own children and not wanting them to go through the same weight issues I did.  I am teaching them how to make healthy food choices, how to enjoy treats in moderation (as treats are inevitable) and how to enjoy exercise as part of your regular lifestyle. 

I am a role model for my family and I strive hard to be a role model for my friends and community.  I teach Group exercise, Turbo Kick, at a local gym, I am a Beachbody coach and help people achieve impressive results with DVD fitness programs (P90X, Insanity, Les Mills PUMP, TurboFire, Power 90, 10 minute trainer, etc) and nutrition (including meals planners and Shakeology).  I have decided to take this one step further and offer a FREE boot camp at a local park 2 mornings a week to help people get rolling with their fitness and push it forward. 

If you are overweight you didn't get there over night!  Therefore you will not lose that weight over night!  There are no magic pills but there are some potions that might seem like a magic fix... trust me when I say that magic fixes are not going to stick.  You need to make changes to your lifestyle and your diet.  Adding fitness and changing what you eat.  It isn't about "dieting", it is about making life long changes that you can stick with!  Let me help you work out a plan to make that happen.  You can say, "I will start tomorrow", but I bet you have said that before!!!  Make it happen today - you will thank yourself next year!  www.GetFitWithNicola.com





No comments:

Post a Comment