Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Pushing yourself gets results

Just over a week ago I ran in and placed second in my age group in a local mud run called the Volkslauf.  It is termed "the Ultimate Challenge", designed as a Marine course, put on by volunteers with proceeds going to local charities. You can select a 5K or a 10K race when you sign up!  I have run the 10K 3 times but this year decided to opt for the 5K for two reasons.  One, my daughter's soccer team had a 10:45 game and I am the coach :); Two, I didn't do much training for this event!

What... no training?  Well, this isn't entirely true as I did throw in a few runs with my dog over the last month and a half.  How then did I do so well?  I do exercise 5-6 days a week.  I am currently following the program ChaLEAN Extreme which involves a lot of strength training, plus I get a big dose of cardio in my weekly Turbo Kick class!  Apparently my regular workouts count as some pretty serious training!

I really pushed myself on my run.  After I waited in line to get over the first obstacle I realized that I would get to rest before every obstacle due to the crowds!  So I ran a great run!  I launched into the mud pits and offered help/ accepted help getting over all of the bigger obstacles... plus I managed a few on my own!

A key thing I learned in past years is that you are not finished until you cross the finish line!!!  There were 3 others within one minute of my time and I bet we were all getting out of the mud pit at the same time and they stopped for a photo op ;)  Don't get me wrong, the completing the Volkslauf is accomplishment enough and shows you have achieved a good level of fitness, but after running it a few times you set your goals a little higher!

On that note I think I will train next year!!!  Getting to the front of the pack from the run would clear congestion for the obstacles... a partner in crime would be handy to help get over the obstacles... who is in?  Next October I am going to crack that 48 minute time down to hmmmmm, how about 40?!?!??!

Even if you are not gunning for a top scoring time I have some great tools to help you get ready for an event like this, just give me a shout!

These pics are from last year's race as my photographers did not make it in time ;)  
Photo 1 is the 1/2 mile slog through Dog Ditch, second is my favorite obstacle that I can get over without help, and the last photo is the pose before the finish line that I did not pause for this year!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment